Monday, August 13, 2012

The Dark Knight Rises...Evan's Take


I realize that it has been over a week since we went to see "The Dark Knight Rises" (TDKR for those in the know)...and we have already been to see "Total Recall"...but I thought that I would put up my review of TDKR because I was probably looking forward to this movie more than any other from this past year. So, for the amount of time that I spent anticipating this movie, I feel that I need to tell you if it was worth the wait.

(As a quick aside...Total Recall was fine. Benjy really liked it. I was kinda ambivalent towards it. Some decent action coupled with glaring plot holes and "competent" acting made for an entertaining but not earth splitting couple of hours...ok...back to TDKR!)

I love Christopher Nolan!

I mean that in the sense that I think this guy is the best filmmaker making movies today. I thoroughly enjoyed the first two Batman movies, so much so that I went to see "The Dark Knight" in theaters FOUR times! I also went and watched other Christopher Nolan works such as "The Prestige" and "Memento" which are fantastic movies but ones that I missed during their run in theaters. If you add in the stylish mind bending action blockbuster "Inception" from a couple of years ago, you begin to realize that this guy just makes great movies. I am at the point that wherever Christopher Nolan wants to take me, I will eagerly follow and enjoy the ride. I already have next summer's "Man of Steel" circled as a must watch...and he is only a writer for it!

I will take the same approach as Benjy did to writing a review and make sure not to spoil a single thing. So...I can't tell you anything about the characters, or the plot, or who might (or might not) die. I can say that the acting is excellent, the visuals are stunning, the music is stirring, the story is great and you certainly will not be disappointed...Even at a run time of 2 hours and 40 minutes. I have told everyone that this movie is a perfect way to wrap up the Christopher Nolan "Batman" trilogy and the only thing I am unhappy about is that I wont get to see more of this franchise in the future.

I'm going to give this movie 5 bat signals out of 5. If you have not seen TDKR, make sure you get to a cinema before it finishes its theater run! Then buy it on DVD when it comes out so you can appreciate it forever and ever (or at least tide you over until Christopher Nolan gets behind the lens for another motion picture).

No comments:

Post a Comment