Thursday, July 1, 2010

Knight and Day...Evan's Take

Benjy has clearly taken to this whole blogging thing much better than I have as he has already reviewed the last movie we saw AND come up with a ratings system (thus making my fledgling ratings system that much harder to come up with).

However, since I am so much slower writing these movie reviews it gives me an opportunity to read what Benjy thinks about a movie. Oftentimes we will agree on movies...In the case of "Knight and Day" our opinions are like night and day (Ahhhhhhh...Peter griffin would be proud...kinda).

The more I have thought about it this week, the more I felt that I have seen this movie before. It's like the big wigs at 20th Century Fox had some large checklist from previous action films and just started adding stuff until they had 2 hours worth of footage that they could slap together and charge $15 to watch it. Lets quickly look at some of their checklist:
- Spy movie - check
- Unwitting female character who gets drawn in to a situation by the smooth talking spy - check
- Catchy title that implies some link to the movie but actually makes absolutely no sense - check
- Guns - check
- Fight scenes shown at a blistering pace - check
- Plane fight scene - check
- Explosions - check
- Exotic locations - check
- Car chase scene...NO WAIT...lets make it a motorcycle chase scene!!! - Check!
- Rogue secret agent - check
- Impossible invention that must not fall into the wrong hands - check
- Invention falls into the wrong hands - check
...You get the idea...

The thing that I found strange is that when picking the lead actors for this movie...they must have had a list that was about 10 years old because I kept feeling that Diaz and Cruise were no longer the box office guarantees that they were when they were pre-JT and pre-CRAZY! I mean, they could have made this movie an infomercial for the potential benefits of botox. I haven't seen that many crows feet since "The Birds"(baaaazing!!!).

I should also point out that I have a bias against Tom Cruise in movies...even though I tend to enjoy some of the stuff he is in. For those who know me, I have a strange thing about celebrities teeth. They make tons of money, the least they could do is invest in some braces for crying out loud! If you want to talk about people with bad teeth, I have lots to contribute to that conversation. Anyways, Tom has nice and straight teeth at first glance but when you look a little closer, it looks like he has a tooth that is directly in line with the indent in the middle of his upper lip (the philtrum...I looked it up...you are all better for knowing that). Don't believe me??? Check out this picture! That central incisor lines up exactly with the tip of his nose...It creeps me out. Thankfully I didn't notice it all that much this time around...maybe he got some dental work?...or had his philtrum moved in a cosmetic procedure?

I will say that there are a few redeeming qualities of this movie. The movie definitely fits the bill for a "mindless movie" (according to our undocumented definition) and the argument could be made that it tried to take all the best scenes from action/spy movies from the last 10 years and cram them into one movie...(Unfortunately I like to say "Hey, I've never seen that before...Cool!" when watching a movie but some people might enjoy it). Additionally, the comedic timing of Cruise and Diaz is really bang on. Cruise is actually really funny and it's almost as if he uses parts of this movie to poke fun at himself in real life. I did enjoy his character quite a bit and it is worth it to check out his performance.

I still don't have a good ratings system figured out yet and I'm not about to steal the one that Benjy is going to use. When it comes down to it...if you have actually made it this far reading the post you either found me extremely enlightening and witty in my analysis or you are my mom. Either way I can pretty much give the movie any random rating that makes absolutely no sense considering most people have moved on with their lives. So lets go with 3 Knights out of 7.5 Days...yeah...that sounds about accurate...

No comments:

Post a Comment